Hartley House was founded in 1897 during the Progressive Era as a settlement house under the auspices of the Association for Improving the Condition of the Poor (AICP), today the Community Service Society of New York. It became an independent organization in 1903. Named by Marcellus Hartley after his father Robert Milham Hartley, a founder of AICP. Marcellus purchased the sold buildings in the early 20th century. They stood as "a hub of support, empowerment, and community development" until now.
Hartley House aims to continue programming that it will manage from a set of offices on Broadway while it looks to relocate back to the neighborhood. We hope they do.
Because places matter. Hartley House may have been constructed with materials like brick and mortar, but it was built with love and investment over time. Hell's Kitchen needs Hartley House - a place we, our children, and our grandchildren can call Home.
E. B. Gallardo